Return to Family Support

MILITARY PERSONNEL – Universal Infant Free School Meals

Please note that has been updated with the relevant guidance and forms to claim for free school meals for children in Pre-K, Kindergarten and Year 1.

Attached are forms Annex A1 (Authorisation from CEAS) and Annex D (Claim form for Military Personnel).



Military Children's Education

Universal Infant Free School Meals


In line with the Department of Education, The Directorate Children and Young People (DCYP) have announced that funding is to be made available for military personnel posted to the US to claim for school meals for children in the equivalent of the Reception year, Year 1 or Year 2. (DIN 2016DIN01­050). In the US this will be Pre­K, Kindergarten and Year 1.


Service children in schools overseas in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 or their national equivalent are entitled to a free school meal. In some locations the schools will provide the meal but in others this may not be possible due to local conditions/restrictions. In order to mitigate against all circumstances, the following rules will apply:
a. Where a meal is provided by the school and the costs are borne by the parent, a refund of actuals is admissible.
b. Where a meal is provided by the school and the costs are not borne by the parent, no refund is admissible.
c. Where a meal cannot be provided by the school, and the cost of providing a meal for the child is borne by the parent, a refund is admissible.
d. Where the school provides a meal but the parent declines a school meal on their child’s behalf, no refund is admissible. Unless the school meal does not cater for the children’s’ specific dietary needs such as vegetarian, Halal, Kosher etc
e. Where the meal forms part of the school fees, which the parent has already been remunerated for, no refund is admissible.
f. Claims can be made in arrears up to 1 April 2015. Authorisation must be sought from the Children’s Education Advisory Service (CEAS) prior to making a claim using DCYP Form 001 at Annex A. The form can be posted to the CEAS address or email a scanned copy
g. Once authorisation has been received from CEAS claims can be made using the form at Annex D For further information please refer to: DIN 2016DIN01­050­050.pdf